Tuesday, April 26, 2016

My Relationship with Media

This is my relationship with Media.
It didn’t always be like this. I didn’t always check my phone or watch YouTube almost every single minute of my free time. Heck, I wasn’t even allowed to use a computer until I was twelve. Back in those days, my best form of entertainment was reading. I loved a good hardcover book to just read on the couch. I could lose track of time in this world because I was teleported into another. The world was presented to me in the form of words. I would be so engrossed, sometimes I just fell asleep at maybe three in the morning. When I woke, up, I just got back to reading.
But alas, it is no longer like that. Ever since I was introduced to the addictive drug of YouTube, my life changes. I was still teleporting into other worlds, only this time my information came in the form of video. Being on YouTube introduced me to the world, learning about news and current events. This in contrast to my previous bubble of Percy Jackson and the Legends of Narnia. Videos just gave me so much information so quickly, my attention didn’t need to be as long. As a result, my attention wasn’t that long. This concerns me that I cant focus all the time. Even now as im typing this up, Im watching a video that will probably cause a taypo. There it is. Its looking at me. The stuff im getting from things around me are also affecting my mind. Watching too many music videos caused me to make beats in my head all the time. Watching too many roast videos made me change my language, which is probably less “civilized” than it was a year ago.

To conclude, media has shaped and changed the way I act. It’s even changed my instinctive thought and actions. It’s not all negative though. Access to modern media has taught me a lot about the world in contrast to the bubble produced by a private school. Access to modern news has taught me a lot merely in four years. Its changed my life both in positive and negative ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment